[Yak] tires and baggage compartments

Tony Raven tony at raven-family.com
Tue May 3 13:14:18 CDT 2005

There are two answers to this question, the practical one and the legal
one.

The practical one is that there is no need and tires do not explode in
baggage compartments,  Even if they were in a zero pressure cargo hold
the effective inflation pressure would only rise 15psi which is nothing
on most tires.  In practice its more like 5psi which is within the error
margin of most bicycle tire pressure gauges.  Even if they did explode
there is not enough energy there to do any harm.

 The legal answer is they classify as pressurised gas containers under
Division 2.2 of FAA DOT49CFR173.115 if they are inflated to more than
40.6psi at 20 centrigrade.

Many airlines are now waiving the need to depressurise - British Airway
do not require it anymore for example - but others are sticking to old
habits and the letter of the rules.

As to your question, only depressurise if the checkin staff insist, if
they do just do enough for them to hear escaping air and stop and only
let all the air out if they are being particularly fussy that day.
Pumping them back up is always a pain so the less pumping you need to do
the better.

Tony