[Yak] Re: Yak Digest, Vol 11, Issue 4

jjjingleheimerschmidt at hotmail.com jjjingleheimerschmidt at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 15:42:02 CDT 2005

> I recently purchased a slightly used SatRDat OSS. Seems to be in very good
> overall condition.
>
> Problem:
> When pedaling, especially hard and in any gear, there is a grinding noise
> and "feel" in the pedals. It really feels like a bearing that is
> insufficiently greased.
>
> The chain was very dry and oiling helped a little. Hard to tell.
>
> The chain from the "idler" sprocket is very tight. I removed the front
> chain
> and held the bike up and turned the crank, but with no load I could not
> hear
> or feel anything.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> George in Houston

Funny noises troubling you too? It could be anything in the drive train
really. With your chain off, check the crank for looseness (side-to-side) as
well as binding. Same for the idler--if it's been binding, you may see
uneven wear in the groove. Your pedals may also be the culprit. Make sure
your rear wheel isn't chafing a loose object. Set it in a stand or trainer,
if you have one. Shift into a wide range of gearing (with pedal pressure to
simulate drive load). Chains often rub against accessories, baggage or
shift/brake cables. Check your chain for wear (esp considering how dry it
was prior to your latest lube). Each link measures 1/2". Overall chain
stretch shouldn't exceed 1/8" for each foot of chain. If it's worn out, then
you'll have to inspect cassette and chainwheel for the same type of wear.

I hope a little of this helps, George.

David